Monday, February 13, 2012

If Our Grandmothers Could See Us Now

The other day I played golf with a friend of mine from the Y that I play racquetball with. We have been playing golf together now since the summer, and have really been enjoying it. She has been playing for a while, and is an athlete, so needless to say she plays very well. We usually play 9 holes and walk, to get the exercise. The weather here has been so crazy that the other day it was 70 degrees, and today is about 45 degrees. Welcome to Virginia. So enough about the weather. This friend of mine is not just any friend. Let me give you some history.
When we first met we all went out one night to say good bye to one of our fellow racquetball players who was moving. We happened to be sitting across from each other, and thru regular conversation about where are you from, and where did you grow up, we discovered that our grandmothers were best friends. They grew up in the same neighborhood, and had always kept in touch. We were both so shocked when I mentioned my maiden name and she told me who her grandmother was. She actually used to babysit for my brother, sister, and I. I always remember her big bun on her head, and how sweet she was to us, always. She also had a very deep voice. Anyway, the other day as we were walking on the golf course I thought to myself, and actually said out loud, “what would our grandmothers say if they could see us now”. It made me think what a small world we live in, and how you never know who is right next to you until you talk to them.  I also realized, once again, how much being a member of the YMCA has helped me to gain so many friends and meet so many new people that I would not have otherwise known, or come in contact with. This time it was someone connected to my family and my past, which made it extra special. We are becoming much better friends and I am so glad. I know my grandmother would be so happy to know that we got the chance to meet, and actually become good friends for some part of our lives. It seems very ironic, and  I can’t help but think that these things don’t just happen, if you know what I mean.
I can’t stress enough how important it is to enjoy your exercise. Joining a gym or fitness center will enable you to take advantage of more than just the exercise, as you can see. The social aspect of the gym is usually taken for granted, but shouldn’t be. Life is short, and you never know who, or what is around the corner.
This article is dedicated to Blanche, Ida, and Barb.  I love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment