Monday, February 13, 2012

Out With The Old; In With The New

I just came back from visiting my Aunt in Maryland for the weekend. I thought it was going to be easy and relaxing, but she definitely had other ideas. I think we hit every shopping area within a 50 mile radius between Friday night and Sunday afternoon. Thank god the weather was good. Not only did we hit all the shopping centers in the area, we also hit all the eating establishments as well. We did try to keep it as healthy as we could, but we did enjoy our favorites to. We ordered different items and shared so we could have the best of both worlds, and in between we walked, and walked, and walked. They have so much ethnic food everywhere and each restaurant is better than the next. I had greek food at Columbia Mall, Indian food at a great restaurant in Silver Spring, brunch  (eggs benedict) at Mon Ami Gabi, and caribbean chicken at Pollo Loco. Oh, I forgot to mention that my aunt did cook the last night, and we had meatloaf, spaghetti, salad, and leftover Indian food. Sounds like another food fest, right?
The best part of the weekend was that in between all the eating we were constantly on the go; picking up furniture she ordered, carpets from IKEA, and some much needed shopping for me. Now, a bit of history about my aunt. She is my mom’s youngest sister, and the one I am closest to in age. She is single, and her kids are grown with their own kids. She is always rearranging her house, and she loves to pick up old furniture, and paint or change it in some way. She makes her curtains, paints rooms funky colors, and has wonderfully different peices of art, all over the house. Everytime I visit her something has changed. She has recently retired, and is now trying to scale down, in anticipation for the future.  I was so impressed with her motivation to change, clean out, and update everything.  I forgot to mention that she also had me moving furniture up and down stairs, including taking peices apart in order to get them up or down, whichever the case was. It had a huge effect on me. We started discussing what I needed to do with my house as far as cleaning out, and thinking about what I may want to have in Florida. I have earth tones in my house now, and I need to look at brighter colors for my future Florida beach house. I came home and immediately started cleaning out the garage, and the bathroom cabinets, which have not been cleaned out since I moved here about 15 years ago. It felt great just to get started, and I now have a better idea of what my everyday tasks need to be, in order to move within my alloted timeline.
I want to dedicate this article to my Aunt Jackie for giving me the motivation I need, to do the things I know I need to do, in order to make things happen. Sometimes when there is big change in your life, you become obsessed with what you need to do, instead of just doing it. These past few weeks have been so up and down for me, emotionally, however, now I feel like I can do anything. Nothing and noone will get in my way of accomplishing my goals. Life goes on, and I am moving right along with it. I look forward to the day when I can look back at this time in my life and realize that this is the best thing that could have ever happened to me.
 Thank you and I love you, Jackie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment