Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cherish Your Friends; They are Precious Commodities

I've been wanting to write an article about how important it is to be there for your friends. In this time of transition, my friends have been invaluable to me, and I have realized how much I appreciate those who have reached out to me, and been there. So much so that I have noticed when my friends have really needed me in return. We are all dealing with so much in our lives; kids, parents, college, marriages, death. Need I go on. I think you get the message. The important thing is that we must continue to be there for each other, for support when that tragedy comes along, whether it be the death of a spouse, the loss of a relationship, or the loss of a job. I know it's hard to compare one to the other, but for the person going thru the so-called tragedy, or the actual  tragedy, the sense of loss is very much the same. Being there and showing your support can be as little as just a phone call or a text, or as big as taking the time to just be with that person for a while so they don't have to be alone, and listen to whatever they want to talk about even if you've heard it over and over again. Everyone heals and deals in their own way, and on their own time schedule. Personally, I have had to realize that everyone is busy with their own stuff, and when they find the time to respond they will. Because I have so much free time these days, I take for granted that just because I call or text doesn't mean that the receiver can respond immediately, even though that's what I want. That's what we all want; INSTANT GRATIFICATION. Eventually they do respond, and if they don't and the message was really important, just send it again, as it may have gotten lost or forgotten, depending on what is going on at the moment with the other party. Remember, EVERYONE IS BUSY with something, and it's not all about you.

Part of being there for your friends is making sure they are taking care of themselves by eating right and exercising. I know some of my friends might think to themselves; "oh no here she goes again, preaching about food and exercise". Well, that's my thing. It's hard to keep my mouth shut when I see that my friends are not eating enough because they got busy, or just didn't feel hungry. We need to remember that in order to feel hungry, you must eat. Eating is what makes the body work and gets that metabolism moving. I know when I started writing about changing my eating habits I mentioned that I had to get used to eating every couple of hours even though I wasn't hungry. It took about two weeks but once my body got used to eating every couple of hours, I was quickly reminded by my stomach, it was time to eat. Try and keep snacks in your car such as nuts, and water, and grab a piece of fruit to take with you when you are leaving the house. You never know when you will need it because you got to BUSY, and forgot to eat. It's happened to me as well when I get caught up in whatever I am doing and before you know it 4-5 hours have gone by and you haven't eaten anything. Normally my stomach will tell me, and I know that is the natural progression for most of us, but if you jump start  your body with a good, healthy breakfast in the morning, and keep up with those snacks between lunch and dinner, you will feel so much better. Your body will thank you and you will want to eat. Also try and keep up with your exercise, by walking at least 30 minutes a day, and getting that heavier cardio workout a couple of times a week, to keep your heart healthy. I remember a phrase from a movie, " exercise produces endorphins, and endorphins make you happy". Just another reason to exercise when you are down in the dumps. I can't tell you how many times I was down and out and didn't want to go to the gym for any reason. I try to remember how good it felt at the end of those nights when I was coming home and thinking to myself how glad I was that I made myself go, and how much better I felt because I played some great racquetball and got to hang out with my friends at the Y. Most of the time I forgot why I was down in the first place. I would like to also stress how important it is to eat something before and after your workouts, to have fuel to burn, and replenish when you're done. Feeling light headed is a sign you have not eaten enough, and avoiding food due to a workout is not the healthy way to go, especially in the heat. One more tip is to always drink water throughout the day, to keep yourself hydrated, and once again, make that body work.

So enough healthy tips for one day. The point once again is that we all need to take care of each other and be there for one another in our times of need and just because. Be honest with each other, but try to realize when to back off due to timing, and the severity of the situation. Put yourself in your friends position and try and realize what they are feeling before you react strongly, or negatively. I have had most of my friends for a very long time and have come to value them so much more thru the years. Friends are precious commodities, not to be taken advantage of, or taken for granted. I dedicate this article to all of my friends, and you know who you are. I love you all very much!!

Living and Loving My Friends


19 comments:

  1. The same can definitely be said for family as well. It's so easy to take both family and friends for granted. Some people don't seem to realize that all good relationships take constant effort and understanding. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comments. I agree, this definitely applies to family as well. I'm glad you liked it. Please share with all.

      Delete
  2. Everyone needs to be reminded that friends and family should not be taken for granted and in fact those relationships should be nurtured. It's interesting that your post also mentioned taking care of ourselves. One of the changes I am making is rearranging my office to change my work style. I want to work more ergonomically and thus more healthy. So on top of eating right and exercising sometimes changing the work scenery can also keep your healthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you get reinforcement from your friends, but doing what you are doing is still the most important.

    I have to lose weight for serious health reasons, and I feel I'm suceeding, but I do need support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. If you need any help please let me know. Like my facebook fanpage Feeling Fine At Fifty and you can see more of my tips.

      Delete
  4. I find that most people don't like to be told how or what to eat. They are polite enough to admit that they need to change their eating habits but rarely will they take your advice. They always think they know their bodies better than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. I agree with you on that. All I can do is offer up my advice. What they do with it is up to them. I read your review of Hope Springs and tried to leave comments but the word verification would not let me finish. I liked the review and loved the movie. Let me know if you received the comments. You nailed it.

      Delete
  5. Thank you. Yes I did get your comment. It was very generous of you and much appreciated. A lot of people seem to be talking about this unlikely film Hope Springs. I hope it reaches a large audience. Great blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friends and family are the glue that holds our lives together. If we start taking them for granted, it results in much unhappiness for all over time.

    One of the most important friends we have is ourselves. Neglecting our wellbeing, no matter the form, is never good. We need to listen/hear what our bodies are saying and heed it's advice... not an easy thing to do.

    Just as it does with any relationship, it takes work to make it a healthy and happy experience for all, overall. Just my thoughts... :-), Susan Cooper

    FYI: I just subscribed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments and subscribing. I agree totally. Please share with all. I will visit your site and check you out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find some are more interested in emotional friendship than others. I've learned who I can open up to and to whom I just say, hi, how are you doing.

    I'm big on eating well, but I've discovered even those who feel similarly have different ideas on what eating well means. I have friends who are vegan, and others who say one is at one's best when you eat some animal products. Now, how to get my kids to like healthy food, that's another matter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comments. Everything is relative. You deal with your friends individually based on the type of relationship you have. As far as eating well, it's important to eat what you like in moderation, trying to keep it as healthy as possible the majority of the time. You can only change but so much. If you start your kids on healthy food that they enjoy and make that the primary choice that is all they know and what they get used to. There is so much to choose from. Just feel them out and try new things. Avoid keeping bad choices in the house most of the time. It cuts down on the probability of making a bad choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post, Susan. It seems everyone os focusing on the value of friendship lately. Yours is the 3rd blog I've read this week on the importance of friendship. But I definitely concur. I think that often we get so busy with the demands of life, our work, our volunteer activities, and other obligations that we just don't take enough time to cherish those things (such as friendship) that have made us who we are today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate my friends and family so much at this time in my life. Glad to hear that so many see the value as well. Please share with all.

      Delete
  11. Very nice post Susan. Love the tips. Now a days, I try to drink more water. Exercising regularly is my next goal. Thanks for the great tips about snacks. People tend to snack on energy bars. Nuts and dry fruits are better than than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Placing importance on food and exercise will make you feel better in mind, body, and spirit. Glad you see the benefits. Please share with all.

      Delete
  12. Love the analogy between friends and being healthy. All relationships need a bit of time and effort on your part, but it will be so worth it in the end. Same thing is true with being and staying healthy. No matter how busy we may become, we should never neglect our bodies just like our friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a few friends who are presently going through a very rough patch, and I'm not sure I am doing enough to be there for them. It's so tough sometimes to know how to best be of help when the situation is serious (life-and-death). But I love the concept that you offer that just being available can mean more than we realize. And then I also remember how other friends have been there for me in times when I needed them and it gives me the courage to try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for your comments. I'm glad you understand the message here. Please keep coming back and forward to all. I checked out your site and forwarded it to my kids who are both in the acting field, as well as a friend of mine who is just breaking in. I have always been a fan and loved participating in theater early in life. I am toying with getting back in.

    ReplyDelete