Thursday, June 21, 2012

Why Wait; Live Your Life Now

I was let go from my job in January of this year. It has now been about 6 months and I have learned so much about myself, my friends, and others I have come in contact with during that time. In February I finally joined facebook to promote this blog, and it has undoubtedly been one of the best decisions of my life. I have reconnected with so many old friends that I did not keep in touch with over the years who I really had fun with growing up. What I realized is that the connections to these friends are still very much the same now. Although our lives have changed due to careers, marriages, divorces, and locations, our personalities and likenesses have remained the same. The most ironic thing I have noticed is that we are all at that point in our lives where we just want to spread our wings and fly. What I mean is that for whatever reason; probably because of what we are taught, when you are young, we have a tendency to choose the more logical path. I know that's what I did. I always enjoyed theater in high school and started out in college somewhat going in that direction. I always knew that I wanted to be involved in some way. While working a summer job before starting at ODU I met an older woman who was very unhappy in her long time marriage, but could not leave her husband due to financial constraints. I realized that I never wanted to be in that position during my life. I knew I was good in math and english, and decided to pursue a career in accounting., knowing that it would support me financially and I would never have to depend on anyone but myself. It was by far the best decision I could have made at the time, and has been very good to me for the last 29 years. I was able to start at the bottom after graduating with a BA in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting, and ultimately became a CPA. I climbed the ladder year after year, and job after job, to finally land that job I had always hoped for. I could never have done the job without my years of experience in different positions, with different companies, and dealing with some of the most colorful characters. I had years of career, and life experiences.

I am now at a crossroads in my life. It is my time to do what I want to do. I have been divorced and single for the last 18 years. Wow, that sounds like a long time. I am in the process of selling my house as the kids are gone, and moving to Florida,where I have wanted to go for many years. I have chosen my new career path which I will start after I move, but has gone hand in hand with the premise for this blog: HEALTH AND WELLNESS. I can hardly wait. The best part of the last 6 months has been reconnecting with my old friends from this area and realizing that we have not changed inside. We all want to get back to what we want to do. One of my friends is singing in a band, while my other friend is getting ready to perform in local theater. They still have their full time jobs for now but they have reconnected with their innermost passions. I am so excited for them, and even more excited for myself. I also realize that I do not want to spend the rest of my life alone, and very much want to fall in love again, and find that special someone to spend the rest of my life with.

As part of this life transforming process, I have also opened myself up to so many new things; golf, writing, travel, and the ultimate for me: HEALTH AND WELLNESS. Feeling good inside and realizing what I need to do to enhance that is the seed of all things. I truly believe that eating well, exercising, sleeping enough, and enjoying life to the fullest is definitely the key to a long, happy life. I almost forgot to mention that I have been seeing a therapist for the last year, in an effort to help me deal with some anger issues surrounding some unforeseen circumstances. This has been such a wonderful enhancement to my life, and has taught me to look at life much more positively (the glass really is half full), as well as my approach to all people, issues, and life as a whole. I am much more accepting of others and their lives, and have learned to only deal with what I can control, and leave the rest behind. I should have done this years ago but I can only look forward at this point. If you are having issues in your life that you are not happy with, and can't figure out what direction to go in, I highly recommend finding the right professional and seeking help. It is AMAZING, and will change your life.

Check out this video and keep these lyrics in your heart.

4 comments:

  1. The best of luck, love & heathy happiness! I just last week ended a 30 year nursing career. A bit scary considering the economic times, but exciting at the same time:)

    Reconnecting to old friends is priceless at this time in our lives. Your assion and purpose is contagious!

    Best,
    Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Yes this can be very scary but it is so worth it in the long run. Glad you can relate. Trying new things is exciting and a necessary part of living and continuing to grow.

      Delete
  2. So happy to hear you are moving onward and upwards and doing something to make you happy. I can relate in so many ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T hanks so much for your comments. So glad you can relate to this. We all will get to this point in our lives and hopefully it will help to share what we all go thru at this time, with each other.

      Delete