Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Enjoy Your Exercise; Realize Your Limitations

Wow, it's been a while since I have been here, but I am ready to get back to it. So sorry it's taken me so long but here goes. A few articles back I started talking about trying new forms of exercise in an effort to branch out of my comfort zone. I went to a Zumba class at the Y that I thought was for beginners. WRONG!! It was actually a regular Zumba class, but the instructor was so nice and really made me feel comfortable. It was a blast!! I am not the most coordinated, so the steps were my main focus, and I probably did not experience the exercise portion of the hour as much as I had hoped. I still had sooo much fun as it was like going to a dance for an hour. The different types of music (latin, carribean, indian/bollywood), along with the different moves, and steps were amazing, and I kept up better than I thought. I knew this would be something I would continue, and if I wanted to really get the benefits I would have to keep coming to get used to the steps and be able to experience the whole process. The ladies in the class were so supportive and friendly, and they assured me that it would get easier each time. It was a wonderful experience. A couple of weeks later my daughter came home from her cruise job and she convinced me to go back with her as she had been going to classes on the ship, and was interested in becoming an instructor. She started going everyday to different Y locations in our area that the girls recommended. They could see that she was good at it, and really enjoyed it. I went a couple of times a week and started getting more familiar with the steps, which enabled me to really let go and feel the music. I felt great after every class, and couldn't wait to go back.

I was also interested in trying hot yoga but was a little concerned about the heat being too much. My hot flashes are pretty much under control but extreme heat still brings them on. I bought a groupon for 10 sessions at Chesapeake Hot Yoga. They have a light and warm class so I decided to start there and see how I fared with that level of heat before jumping in full force. It was hot but bearable. The yoga itself was more difficult than I thought it would be due to the extreme stretching that I was totally not used to. I had been to a yoga class at the Hindu temple which was more meditation and yoga. This was all yoga stretches. I felt good afterwards, and was a bit sore the next day or so but was determined to go back and push thru the pain. I went to 3 classes in a week and a half. It was not getting any easier, and each time there was a different instructor so the workout was constantly changing. I was also doing Zumba in between, and racquetball on the weekend. By the next week my sciatic nerve was KILLING me. Constant hip pain going down my leg. I realized that I had overdone my exercise and would have to stop some activities. I should have stopped everything but no, not me. I am invincible, or so I thought. This had to be a result of taking 3 yoga classes in a week and a half and not taking a day off from everything here and there. What was I thinking!! I finally decided to stop all activity other than walking, to let things heal and get back to normal. It has now been about 3 weeks and the pain is not going down my leg anymore but I still have hip pain when sitting and laying. I went to the doctor last week and he put me on a steroid pack for a week which I will start today, as I was in Myrtle Beach for the weekend playing golf, and didn't want to deal with the possible side effects. I am fine standing, walking, and playing golf, of course. I will slowly add my activities back this week to get back to a normal routine but I have learned, once again, that I need a break in between heavy exercise for at least a day to let my body recover. I am not 20 anymore, even though I think I am.

The point of this article: let your body rest and recover when trying new things, and realize your limitations. I always feel great after my heavier exercising, but I always feel the pain the next day. Your body needs time to recover and rebuild, and constant pounding and pushing on your  muscles is not the answer, especially if you are older. I realize that racquetball has taken a big toll on my body for the last 16 years, and now I must let myself heal when trying new things. Listen to your body, and it will tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Never stop exercising, but like I always say: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!!

Still Recovering

4 comments:

  1. This is great Susan. I look forward to reading more of these. Turned 51 in Feb but in pretty good health thus far.

    Love seeing what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick. I love your blog as well. I can definitely learn from you but I am right there with you. So glad we are connected.

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan thanks for sharing your story. It's great that you're going out there and trying, which is what most people should be doing. I think a big misconception people have is that they tend see someone who is extremely fit and they think that person was just born that way or may just "have it" and you don't. I believe every thing takes hard work and skill to build up to, and if you put your mind to it then it will happen. But as you pointed out it doesn't have to be painful and you don't have to kill yourself or push yourself over the limit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. This has been such a wonderful journey for me, and am very happy to share my trials and tribulations throughout this process. I am not perfect, as none of us are, and I think it is important to let others know that we all make mistakes. The point is not to lose your focus,and keep your eyes on the prize, so to speak. Please read some of my earlier articles, and let me know what you think. Please share with all and thanks again for reading and commenting.

      Delete