Monday, February 13, 2012

Those Raging Hormones (part 2)

What I do know is that I have never gone to the doctor so much in my life but I feel that my needs are truly being addressed. With my gynecologist I took the first set of hormones for 6 months because I was told that I needed to get them in my system for at least 90 days. It took me at least 6 months to get rid of them, if not longer.  Now when I have a problem with any new doses of hormones I am told to stop them immediately as they should not be making me feel bad which is also indicating that the dosage is not correct and needs to be adjusted. The differences in approaches between the two doctors is unbelievable. This new doctor is not a gynecologist so I was advised to keep my original GYN for that purpose or I would have to find a new one. I thought it was weird that my GYN was not taking care of my hormones, and that the doctor who was taking care of my hormones was not my GYN. I noticed the next time I went to my GYN that on their questionaire they ask if you are under another doctor’s care for hormone replacement. This only solidified the fact that hormone replacement alternatives are becoming very popular. When I started with my new doctor he did not put me on any hormones right away. My overall health was a bigger concern, hence all the tests mentioned before. This doctor believes in a more holistic, homeopathic approach. He immediately told me to start taking supplements that were necessary for healthy body function: fish oil, calcium, a thyroid supplement, and a PMS supplement. After test results he also increased my vitamin D quite a bit. There are many sources for these supplements, but I chose to go with the company he uses as I knew he was using supplements himself. I thought, if he trusts this source for himself, it must be good. I had also done some research on menapause and how it affects your body, and everything I read he supported with his information and knowledge. That made me feel much more confident that I had found the right doctor and we were on the same page. What a great feeling that is!! By the way, all of the supplements I take are completely natural, with ingredients such as rosemary extracts, broccoli extracts, etc. On the other hand, it is important to take these under a doctor’s care. Even natural products can have adverse affects depending on your body. Everyone is different and unique, and it is important that you understand that the right combination for one may not be the same for someone else.
In closing I just want to say that there are many approaches to this problem. This is just my experience and what works for some may not work for others. Try and be smart about your choices, listen to your body, and if you are not comfortable with your current treatment, seek an alternative. Realize that a healthy diet and exercise always play a part in the total body experience.
Good luck and happier hormones

No comments:

Post a Comment