Monday, February 13, 2012

Substitutes: Yes You Can (part 1)

Before I started this journey, my belief was that I could have everything I wanted in moderation. That’s what I had always read. As I said in earlier articles, I thought I was eating healthy, however I continued gaining weight and not losing or maintaining. When I started logging in my food and seeing everything I was eating, I realized that I needed to make major changes to the types of foods I was putting in my mouth. I needed to start using substitutes in order to stay on track and make healthier choices. Once again, it was about getting back to basics; good proteins, veggies, and carbs. I am a very routine person which makes things easier to stay on course. The hard part is making the initial change.
For breakfast I usually have oatmeal. Buy the Quick Oats in the cannister, not the flavored prepackaged type which is loaded with sugar. I use Almond Milk instead of water to get the morning dose of  calcium, as well as the addtional flavor.  There are many ways to enhance plain oatmeal. Try cinnamon, real sugar, or honey, any fruit, and nuts if you prefer.  My standard oatmeal is Almond Milk, cinnamon, Stevia in the Raw, and fresh blueberries. I alternate days with whole wheat cinnamon swirl bread and peanut butter, cinnamon, fresh blueberries, and a glass of Almond Milk. The key here is one piece of bread, and one tbsp of peanut butter (reduced fat, or natural). The serving size for peanut butter is 2 tbsp., but that has 16 grams of fat. As with most nuts and nut products, the fat content is high for one serving size. The key is; cut it in half.,  You still get the benefits but half the fat. I always have an 8 oz glass of low sodium V8 juice with breakfast as well. It’s a great way to get a couple of servings of veggies in addition to the blueberries.  I always start the day with coffee; one cup at home, and one cup at work. “They” say it gets your mind going and has some good benefits. For me, it is a necessity. The darker, and bolder, the better.
I usually bring the same snacks to work everyday. Routine, routine, routine. I eat every couple of hours, as well as drinking water in between; after coffee, of course. My morning snack is a small apple. I like gala apples, but whatever you prefer. I have an apple wedger (Pampered Chef), which gives you more peices to eat, and cuts down on the juicy mess. I eat this about one hour before lunch, and it keeps me from getting to hungry before lunch time, in addition to helping me curb my appetite during lunch.  My afternoon snack is plain greek yogurt (i prefer Chobani), with a couple of handfuls of blueberries mixed in. I started buying the individual cups but it was hard to find the plain in this size so I have switched to the large containers. It’s better economically, and a great item to keep in the refrigerator as a substitute for sour cream. There is no fat,  loads of protein, and calcium, and it is very filling. I usually eat this about 3 hours after lunch so I don’t have to rush home to eat dinner because I am starving from not eating since lunch. I have gotten so used to this routine that I can’t imagine how or why I didn’t have afternoon snacks before. I would always have something before going to play racquetball, but maybe not if I was not going to play.
Healthy eating means eating healthy food, not avoiding food all together.  Realize that not having enough food in your body will cause you to increase stomach acid which can lead to alot of pain and discomfort, as well as potential stomach problems. Please read on to “Substitutes: Yes You Can (part 2)”

No comments:

Post a Comment