Saturday, November 17, 2012

Enrich Your Life By Volunteering

For years I have wanted to volunteer for the Meals on Wheels program which delivers meals to seniors through Jewish Family Service. I finally decided that this was the time since I am in between careers and actually have the time. At first I was just delivering the meals without much communication due to caretakers answering the door, or not much interest. I still felt good about what I was doing, knowing that this was a much needed service, and I was really helping out. I did spend an afternoon helping a blind woman go thru her mail and pay her bills. She was convinced we would not get through the two large piles of mail but I assured her we would, and we did, as well as paying the bills, and addressing the envelopes. It took a couple of hours but she was so appreciative and happy to have taken care of all of it. I can't tell you how good it made me feel to help her out and feel that immense sense of satisfaction. It was a feeling like none I've ever had.

More recently I have been delivering to two older men who live alone. My first week with my "newbies", I was invited in to sit down, although I did not, due to having many deliveries that day and wanting to get to everyone on time. The next week I decided I needed to make time to visit with them if that's what they wanted. My first delivery is a 91 year old man who lives in a house alone as his wife has died. I have been spending more and more time with him each week, and the conversations are getting more and more diverse and comfortable. We are learning about each others interest and it is such an exercise of self awareness for both of us. I realize how much he appreciates me spending time with him, and I am appreciating the fact that he is so intelligent and has so many interest things to share. He continuously comments about how much food he is getting and how his freezer is getting full. He only gets two meals a week, however he also goes out and cooks for himself as this is what he did in the service years ago. I keep telling him that he is not eating enough but I have stopped now, finally realizing that he does not eat the way he used to. He is very open to my opinions, and general tone, and lets me know that he really likes the way I look at things, and appreciates my overall intelligence and reasoning. I mentioned that he should call and have the meals delivered every other week to avoid the overage in his freezer but he immediately realized that I would not be coming every other week and I noticed the disappointment. This was quite an eye opener for me, and I let him know that I would stop by every week to spend time with him with or without meals. This made him very happy and completely warmed my heart.

My next "newbie" was not home for the first two weeks I delivered so I was told to just come in and leave the food. I didn't think people still left there doors unlocked anymore but they do, and it seems to be ok, depending on where you live. The third week I came in the house and he was there. The cutest little man with the best personality. He was so excited to see me he asked to hug and kiss me immediately. I was a bit overwhelmed but took it in stride and just went with it. He quickly asked me in for coffee and to lunch but he was my last delivery and I had other errands to run and people to meet. He gave me his card to call him and asked for my phone number after many complements about my personality and overall aura. I made it clear that we could go to lunch the next week as friends, not knowing what he was thinking, and he let me know that he was old enough to be my grandfather, which gave me a sense of relief. The next week as I pulled up to his house he was sitting outside waiting for me and immediately got in the car. We went to lunch and he made friends with everyone in the restaurant. I found out he was a Psychologist, and had lived alone for many years after divorcing. He constantly complemented me about my looks and bubbly personality, and wondered why I was not married or dating, or as he put it " why has no one scooped you up, they must be crazy. You are such a wonderful woman." We went to lunch again this week, even though he had just gotten back from lunch. I told him it was not necessary but he wanted to spend some time with me and I couldn't say no. I am really enjoying his company as he is very smart, quick, and wity, and loves to talk to everyone. He has called me a couple of times to give me what he calls "useless information" and all I can do is laugh. I honestly can't wait to see what he will do or say next, and I am enjoying his company so much.

This has been such a wonderful addition to my life, and I look forward to it more and more each week. During the election I volunteered at the Democratic headquarters, and that was well worth it per the outcome of the election. Once again, another self satisfying use of my time.  I can't tell you how much these seniors need company and appreciate having people visit and spend time with them. If you have time to help with this organization, or just to visit nursing homes, or help out at other senior centers around town, I guarantee you will be a welcome addition to others lives, as well as having one of the most self satisfying experiences of your life. My destiny becomes clearer each day thru these experiences, and only aids me in my goal of becoming a Certified Health Coach; the journey to a whole and happy life.

Living and Loving Helping Others
Go Out and Volunteer!!!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for reading and commenting. I will check out your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Susan.

    Volunteering is a huge part of my life. I spend 1/3 of my time volunteering, 1/3 on my work as a writer and 1/3 on the rest of life. Have done so for about 30 years and my life is so much richer for it. Not in the monetary sense, but in a sense of doing good for a cause or helping those in need -- so important.

    If you find you get more fully and permanently involved in volunteering, I actually wrote a book on how to be a better volunteer for those in non-profit leadership called "Before You Say Yes." I hope you continue to find pleasure in volunteering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Sounds like you have figured out the recipe for a good healthy life. I am definitely going in your direction. I will check out your book.

      Delete
  3. Great read Susan. "If ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me". Matthew 25:40. You have really "Paid It Forward". What a great opportunity to warm the lives of those who are lonely. You are an inspiration that we all can learn from. This is great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments. I am so full of love and satisfaction from this experience and will continue to do this the rest of my life.

      Delete
  4. Volunteering is a great thing to do. It is especially nice when you make friends too. this is a great story. It shows that the people you are helping need to company as much as the assistance and the food.

    You are a gem, and your new friends know it.

    Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspirational - fantastic to hear how much you are adding to these peoples lives and that it is satisfying for you also. It's definitely a reciprocal situation, and reminds me that I haven't volunteered for a while. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I'm glad that this has inspired you to volunteer. It is a feeling like no other. Please share with all.

      Delete
  6. Volunteering has such great benefits for both the volunteer and the one benefiting form your efforts. You have certainly demonstrated that. I was especially touched by the 91 year old man. I should get my but in gear and volunteer more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. So glad you enjoyed the article and that you are inspired to volunteer. It is a wonderful addition to my life.

      Delete
  7. It is nice to see you making a difference in people's lives especially at this time of the year. I choose the March of dimes to volunteer here's why http://www.balanceddaily.com/why-the-march-of-dimes-is-my-favorite-non-profit/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting and reading my article. Glad to hear that you are volunteering as well. This is so important and makes you feel so good. Please share with all and thanks again.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing these stories. We are social animals with a great need to connect. Volunteering helps the volunteer and those they serve. I am sure this will inspire someone else to take action. It's an old cliche, but all it takes is for each person to reach out to one other person. We all have something to give. Thank you for your service.

    I came over from LinkedIn. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your great comments. I totally agree that we all have something to give and there are always those that need our help and company. Please share with all and thanks again.

      Delete