Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dance Thru Your Exercise With Zumba

A few years ago, at a racquetball tournament in Newport News, I watched a zumba class in progress. It was at the Riverside Wellness Center. The class was very full, and looked like a lot of fun. At that time the only exercise I was really participating in was racquetball, as I was never really a class person. There were many classes I tried throughout the years, but I never went more than once. I was only going  for one reason; to get the exercise. It was never anything I really enjoyed, and therefore it never peaked my interest enough to come back. All I thought about while doing the class was how much pain I was in, and how hard it was, constantly waiting for the end. They should never put clocks on the wall in the room, as that seemed to be my primary focus the entire time. I immediately turned my  nose up at the idea of another class situation due to my previous experiences. A few months ago I finally decided it was time to try some new types of exercises, and zumba was the first on the list. It kind of went along with the ballroom dance class I was taking, as it was technically dance related, and I thought I would enjoy it just as much. I went to a class that was supposed to be for beginners, however when I got there I found that not to be the case. Never the less, the instructor, Colleen, was very welcoming, and assured me that I would catch on and she would make sure to explain the steps as she went along. The first class was quite an experience, and I probably didn't get the exercise out of it that I should have, concentrating on the steps much more than the intensity of the movement. The women in the class were so nice and supportive, as well as Colleen, and they assured me that if I continued to come, it would get easier and easier. She also gave me a written handout explaining that you needed to have fun and let yourself go with the music. This really resonated with me, as my focus was so much on getting the steps down, and being technically correct. The next class I did let myself go a bit more, and the exercise just happened without my realizing it. That was all I needed. I was hooked. My daughter, Megan had also told me she was doing it on the cruise ship, and enjoyed it so much she was thinking of becoming an instructor. A couple of weeks after I started, Megan came home and wanted to start going as well. I took her to Colleen's class and she loved it, continuing to go almost everyday. She got very close with Colleen, and the regulars in the class and they lead her to other classes at other YMCA  locations that were popular. I did go to a few more classes with Megan, and really enjoyed it more and more each time, realizing the exercise benefits, and enjoying the dancing. I ended up having to stop due to a sciatica problem for a month or so, and during that time, Megan went back on the cruise ship. The relationships she made with these women, and the instructors, in the two months she was home was priceless. They wanted to keep in touch with her while she was gone, and made her CDs of the music so she would not forget them, along with other zumba gifts. She was even leading some of the dances in the classes, as she was so good at it, and always looked like she was having so much fun.

I finally started feeling better a couple of weeks ago, and have resumed playing racquetball, as well as zumba. I went to Colleen's class last week, and it took me a week to recover, however, I noticed that I picked the steps back up easily, and really got into it so much. It felt great, and I realized how much I missed it. I went back this week again, and I am really getting into the music, reaching a new level of movement. I may actually be getting good at it. The point is that I really love it. As I said before, I have never enjoyed being in an exercise class, but this is so different. I am dancing for an hour, and getting the benefits of exercise without even realizing it. I started to think about how much I always loved to go dancing when I was younger, and how alive it would make me feel. I now have that awesome feeling again in a much different setting.

Enjoying your exercise is key to being able to incorporate it into your daily routine. I hope this article will inspire you to go out and find those activities that you enjoy. There are so many benefits,and enhancements to life, that come along with participating in group activities, as well as joining a fitness center, golf course/country club, or other facility. Your life will be so much more fulfilled without you even knowing it. Take a chance, and a step towards that which you have always enjoyed, and you will enjoy it more later in life. You will not be sorry you did.

Living and Loving Zumba

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE Zumba! I love the Latin music, the fact that you can take it a bit easier if you have to, the fact that a lot of the moves are crazy fun (like the belly dancing parts!) To me, it is the PERFECT form of exercise. Wish I had time to do it more often, but I am in the middle of writing my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reading and leaving comments. Good luck with your book. I'm writing one as well. Go to Zumba when you need a break for some good exercise and increase your endorphins for brain power to help with the book. Please share with all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried Zumba but it wasn't for me! I know lots of people enjoy it, but I guess I just don't have the necessary coordination to pull it off. It's fabulous that so many kinds of exercise keep evolving, but I'll stick with jogging ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting. Glad to hear that you ventured out to try it. You need to stick to what works for you.

      Delete
  4. I have never tried Zumba. I am generally a walker, but Zumba sounds like a blast. After reading your article I may consider finding a gym that has a class. Thanks for sharing. :))), Susan Cooper from BHB/LI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments and reading. Glad this has inspired you to try it out. Let me know how it goes and keep coming back for more.

      Delete
  5. I've never tried Zumba but it sounds fun. Fortunately I am addicted to working out and do so 3 to 5 days a week. I vary routines on CD and often those CD routines include some kind of kickboxing. That's what I enjoy - unless I kick my back out and end up more at the chiropractor than kick boxing. Then, I just use our elliptical while I heal.

    Patricia Weber, LinkedIn Group BHB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and your comments. Glad to hear that you have exercise that you love. You have to do what you enjoy just be careful. Check out my previous article about realizing your limitations. Good luck and please come back.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a lot of fun. With music how can you not have fun. The key is to do something that doesn't feel like exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments and reading. Exactly my point. You must enjoy your exercise so you want to do it. Please come back and share with all.

      Delete