Monday, February 13, 2012

Getting Over The Plateau

I am feeling great!!  I have lost about 15 lbs and most of my old clothes are fitting me again. Its amazing how well your shirts fit when you don’t have the extra rolls. I am also noticing my bra feeling bigger as my back is getting smaller. I never imagined that would happen.  I am thrilled with my progress and it leaves me wanting more.
I am doing the same things I have always done but I start adding more and more Lean Cuisine type meals, as they are easier and it is just me at home these days. I am maintaining my current weightloss but not losing anymore. I had hit a plateau and realized that it was time to make another change. I read that you should eat more real food rather than processed foods. You know, cook it yourself, instead of buying it already prepared with whatever they decide to put in it as far as preservatives, taste enhancers, etc. I decided maybe this would help me lose more weight. I left the rest of the box dinners in the freezer as back up and bought more fruits and veggies, hummus, avocados & nuts, and started getting back in the kitchen. I had fish, chicken, and shrimp in the freezer. I would eat this with my veggies and whole grains for dinner. I have always tried to eat whole grains, wheats and oats as opposed to white breads, pastas, and rice. I do believe it makes a difference. I also decided to put the healthy fats  back in my diet such as olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc.  It’s funny how reading something that you know makes sense, doesn’t resonate until you really need it. As I said before, I always read the health articles that come up when I go online. I find them very useful and full of great tips. It didn’t take long to notice that this change in diet from boxes to homemade was making a difference. The weight slowly started coming off again and I was feeling even better. Once again, THEY were right. Who are they, you might ask. Well, it’s always been a joke in our house that “they” are, you know,  ”them”. 
My doctor told me not to drink so much milk due to the large amount of sugar. I never realized how much sugar was in milk and I was drinking 2-3 glasses a day. They also suggested eating greek yogurt which I immediately turned my nose up. I have never been a yogurt person unless it was frozen. I had been hearing about how much protein was in greek yogurt with little to no fat. I tried a blueberry Chobani and it was great. Didn’t taste like the yogurt I remember.  I am hooked. It literally tastes just like sour cream, which I love. I decided to buy the plain which only has about 7 grams of sugar as opposed to the fruit flavored which has about 20 grams of sugar. I kept more blueberries on hand to mix in and add some sweetness, but any real fruit, nuts, or granola will enhance this healthy snack. The different textures  is also nice between the blueberries and the yogurt.  This has become a very commom everyday snack for me. I forgot to mention that each serving of this yogurt has 18 grams of protein and no fat. It’s also a good source of calcium which is very important to us gals. Try substituting it for sour cream in any recipes or as a topping for soups and chili. You will love it. I decided to switch to Almond Milk to replace the 1% milk I was drinking.  It tastes great. The unsweetened is only 40 calories but is very bland. I recommend the original which is 60 calories with a little sugar added. I like the Blue Diamond brand, however Silk makes it as well. The sugar grams are almost half of what’s in milk, and the calcium and other vitamins are double that of milk. It didn’t take much to make the decision to switch. I use it in my oatmeal every morning and it’s great. I also find it easy to drink on its own. V8 juice is also a good way to get a couple of veggie servings in during the day. I drink it in the morning with one of my powdered supplements. Buy the low sodium. You won’t notice the difference after a few days and the reduction in  sodium is considerable.
So to wrap up, while checking the labels for serving size, fat, carbs, and protein, add sodium and sugar. Eat lots of veggies and fruit, lean meats, fish, and chicken, whole oats, grains, and wheat, and drink lots of water. Try to stay away from processed foods if possible. It’s just as easy to grab a piece of fruit, or a handful of nuts. If you are eating healthy you will not need to worry about your calories. The food will speak for itself.
 Happy and Naturally Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment